Friday 3 July 2009

Back home

We are back in a green and pleasant land after a visit to Reading where the grass was more reminiscent of holidays in days gone by in Nimes, France. HoF didn't have too good a time, having spent most of it working but still not finishing the job he set out to do. I fared better having spent his earnings in the sales!
There were two obituaries in national papers to the late lamented Flossie. There is another one here.
I think it tells you more about the writer who is a well known resident with a picturesque turn of phrase, and also looks nostalgically back to a past era. I begin to realise just how past my era was when I read about health and safety issues. As a child I was allowed to go off by myself for walks in the woods, coming home when my tummy dictated. Can you imagine any child being allowed to do that now? I'm glad I grew up when I did all except for central heating. But then I did get to see Jack Frost decorate the windows.

No comments: