Saturday 18 July 2009

Follies


The world is growing crazier by the year. I have just been sent this link: http://www.bunyansblog.com/2009/07/pshe-state-sponsored-corruption-of-childhood/ Seems our government would like children to know all about things we'd rather they didn't. I guess they'll say it's something to do with human rights or health and safety which seem to be current deities. If this underhand attempt to make laws unnoticed annoys you too, then please complete the questionnaire.

In the village there is a campaign for a new improved playground. What I wonder did previous generations of children do about play? It's not as if we live in tower blocks of flats; we are surrounded by countryside. I suppose that if you sing 'If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise' to modern children, they don't think of teddy bears. Nowadays we are fully informed of all possible risks and we're afraid of everything. What happened to playing in the garden; improvisation; making dens; dressing up; climbing trees? Well probably there are no climbable trees any more; someone might get hurt. And dressing up probably means getting ready for a disco. Sorry. I'm having a curmudgeonly phase. And yes, my grandchildren would enjoy a better playground when they come.

I've just finished 'Stepping Heavenward' by Mrs Prentiss, date approx 1880 in which she say:
"People ask me how it happens that my children are all so promptly obedient and happy. As if it chanced that some parents have such children or chanced that some have not! I am afraid it is only too true, as someone has remarked, that "this is the age of obedient parents!" What then will be the future of their children? How can they yield to God who have never been taught to yield to human authority? And how well fitted will they be to rule their own households who have never learned to rule themselves?"
She thought that in 1880? She should see us now.
So maybe all generations despair of the next. I'm so glad I'm not bringing up children in this one.

We went this week to visit the delightful garden pictured. Those buildings that look like Victorian follies were actually built fairly recently by the current owner. We were over that way, Kidderminster, for another reason. HoF has the hots for buying a motorbike. Now is that folly or not? Should a good wife encourage this pursuit of a hobby as the Big Number Birthday approaches? I'm keeping mum, appropriately, until I see whether the enthusiasm lasts.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: