Monday 15 March 2010

Ragdale Paradise


Miss P had a week's holiday, so she and I used two nights to go away for a blissful spa break. I travelled there by train with my senior's railcard which I intend to use more this year. Our spa of choice is Ragdale. Once upon a time I didn't think I would enjoy this sort of thing but a visit about five years ago changed my mind. There is something absolutely delightful in spending all day in a swimsuit and 'robe' (dressing gown). I don't usually like swimming because of all the changing in and out of clothes so being able to stay unchanged all day is very releasing. And it isn't just swimming either. Choices range from saunas to water gym, jacuzzi to candlelit pool, and an outdoor heated section where I swam alone one night in a purple mist.

Then there are treatments included. Pedicure and back massage in my case. And to cap it all, wonderful food. Mostly healthy, all delicious but not a chip, burger or fish finger in sight!

Two days was great, three might be even better but I wouldn't want to stay for ever or the glamour would wear off. I started a book there called 'Crazy Love' by Francis Chan which has this quote from John Piper:

'The critical question for our generation - and for every generation - is this: If you could have heaven, with no sickness, and with all the friends you ever had on earth, and all the food you ever liked, and all the leisure activities you ever enjoyed, and all the natural beauties you ever saw, all the physical pleasures you ever tasted, and no human conflict or any natural disasters, could you be satisfied with heaven, if Christ was not there?'

Mmmm. Good question. Having tasted something like that heaven I know there's no way it could satisfy for long.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: