Tuesday 20 April 2010

Visitors


Guess who came to visit last week! We enjoyed showing them round our patch and as we all have NT tickets, had a great day out here.

At Powis Castle. If we were just that bit closer I'd come here frequently to see the changing borders. I was surprised how empty they were compared to last summer, but the wild flowers in the woodland were lovely, lots of primroses and anemones. And the views over the surrounding countryside gives you an idea of the setting.


Now I am busy on my garden, and am comforted about my winter losses - an arbutus unedo, helianthemum, and maybe an olearia, by seeing the Powis plants suffered too, and they have experts. So the veg garden is dug, but not yet sown. How do you time it when the ground is so dry and no rain forecast? The celandine are beaten back and now I need to makeover the rockery where the said helianthemum had pride of place and the loathed grape hyacinths are taking over again. Why is it the plants I don't like that do well and those I adore are the ones that struggle and give up after the first year? I suppose that's what makes them rare.
The person pictured above has a blog I discovered during our many chats which you might be interested to read. He has some thought-provoking ideas, especially on what church is really all about. And the talks for the conference I went to are also online; I recommend Friday pm and Saturday am2, for starters.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: