Thursday 8 November 2012

Going away

My auntie Marjorie rarely went on holiday. 'Too much packing and unpacking' she said. I found that really hard to understand, but now as I enter my senior years (I think, but not sure which birthday that happens) I have an awful feeling I'm headed that way. With dates booked to go away, there is suddenly a yawning hole in the diary, because who knows what might happen in that space? Will it be too much or not enough? Will I get cranky if I'm out of my usual routine? What will I do if I don't sleep in a strange house? I think this is supposed to be called being adventurous, but could it be that a time comes when we'd rather have the predictable? O, how dull.

Now HoF likes to have everything planned. Checks on Googlemaps exactly where each bend in a road comes between airport and hotel. Has lists of possible trains to catch. Whereas I like some surprises and the serendiptious. Or I did.

So if you wonder why we seem to be having so many outings and trips, it's because we'd better get on and do so while we can. Maybe a round-the-world ticket is the answer..................... Sorry about the inheritance, kids.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I so agree Viv! I seem to be having the same feelings!