Monday 14 January 2008

Brigadoon

Driving away from Darvell, I found myself humming tunes from Brigadoon. It's one of my favourite musicals, about a mysterious village that two Americans find in the Scottish mists.

So why the subconscious connection?

Perhaps the warm welcome from smiling well-scrubbed faces, perhaps the rather antiquated dresses. Or could it be the amazing spontaneous singing from the assembled community? Or that the workshop supervisor was a smiling young Korean called Jeannie.

I certainly felt as if I'd left a piece of my heart behind. And that to stay would require a very permanent forsaking.

There are some very positive aspects to living in community.
Care from cradle to grave. Literally, as they have their own graveyard.
Never having to worry about money again.
Never any need to feel lonely or unwanted.
Able to work and feel useful at any age.
Rarely having to wonder what to have for dinner!

I'll tell you the negatives another day.

No comments: